[Bioclusters] SGE vs. LSF

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 17 10:58:45 EDT 2005

--- Richard Wonka <richard.wonka at web.de> wrote:
> There are two things bothering me at the moment:
>  1) There will likely be need to expand the setup to more locations.
>       -> This part has already shown that I ought to test LSF.
>  2) right now I've only seen openPBS and the free version of SGE and

Oh, then give LSF a try... Multicluster in LSF is easier to setup than
Globus.

Some Globus add-ons for SGE:
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/tog.html
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/josh.html

The biggest difficulty in setting up Globus IMO, is that there are lots
of security related settings to configure (just an impression), it's
really for large/true grids, but smaller setups will suffer :(

Note that Platform also works on the opensource Community Scheduler
Framework (CSF) using Globus - you can have different batch systems
controlled under CSF.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gcsf

(the project is not very up-to-date, not ported to GT4 yet...)

> > 1) DRMAA:
> > It's supposed to be batch system independent... it already has
> support
> > for Perl, Java, and .Net. The best thing is that you can use the
> same
> > code to interact with SGE, Condor, Gridway... and PBS in the
> future.
> How does LSF fit into this list?

In theory, Platform can write their own DRMAA layer.

> > 3) reliability/resiliency/failover
> Well this one here has been set up with BDB, and I assume that'll be
> okay.

BDB can't be located on NFS, so the failover master won't be able to
read the job info... that's what Chris complained about.

A lot of people use classic spooling over NFS.

> Pretty much adds up to Solaris (8,9,10) and Debian GNU/Linux - not
> sure if we want to have the IRIX-boxes in the grid as well.

IRIX is also a supported OS, but SGI/MIPS is so slow... just get an
AMD64 :)

Rayson