[Bioclusters] OS X and NFS

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Jul 15 09:07:22 EDT 2005

Hi Juan:

   A good rule of thumb is that in aggregate, local I/O is almost always
fastest (with very few exceptions).  If you can move your data set off
the NFS server as part of the job stage to local disk, you will usually
get better performance per node.  This may not always be easy or
practical in some cases.

   You simply need to look at local disk not as a storage medium, but as
a cache medium, and then handle the loading and clearing of cache before
and after your run.

Joe