[Bioclusters] pointers on cluster integration with MS activedirectory environments

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Aug 24 15:40:25 EDT 2006

Actually after looking more closely at Centrify (thanks everyone!) it
appears that one of the functions you get with their Linux/Active
Directory integration product is a daemon that can act as a NIS
server for "legacy" devices and systems.  This means that one can
license a few critical cluster nodes and then simply run one or more
Centrify NIS daemons on the cluster to feed authentication data from
Active Directory through NIS to the cluster nodes. The NIS product
also locally caches credentials to avoid hammering the domain
controller all the time. I'm betting you lose some of the policy
based features you get with a full Centrify deployment but using NIS
would allow someone to satisfy the access/authentication requirement
without licensing the entire cluster.  There is one lurker on this
list who is already doing this on a test cluster with plans to move
it into production shortly.

Regards,
Chris