[Bioclusters] FPGA in bioinformatics clusters (again?)

Tirath Ramdas Tirath.Ramdas at eng.monash.edu.au
Mon Feb 20 03:36:38 EST 2006

Hi Joe and all,

Please excuse the ridiculous latency of this response... been on
holiday :)

On 13/02/2006, at 4:33 PM, Joe Landman wrote:
> I/we strongly support their use.  Not as replacements for clusters,
> but as tools to significantly augment desktop and cluster level
> supercomputing in Life sciences and related fields.

Noted, and agreed.

> The issue is that you have some design work to do to interface the
> core to the rest of the board.  Now if the boards were somehow
> standardized (cough cough) this would be a "good thing".  [anyone
> want to talk about standard boards?]

I see your point. There's some irony here... the problem is in ``glue
logic''. That's exactly what FPGAs were considered good for in the
early days! But yes, I appreciate the significance of the integration
headache, especially considering where we want to take this: i.e.
making FPGAs available to end users. You might want to pop by over to
the OpenFPGA list; I recall seeing some discussion of integration
related matters, even to the Operating System level, though to be
frank right now that isn't really a core technical interest of mine.

> I would argue the opposite, that bioclusters is all about providing
> scalable platforms for bio-computing tasks, and that acceleration
> systems, as people need them require a platform to host them.  What
> better platform for a bio-accelerator than a bio-cluster ? (note:

Yep, fair enough. My concern was that we were getting a bit away from
the bio side of things, but you pulled it back, so it's all good -
believe me, I'm quite happy to go on and on about FPGAs and
application specific processors :)

Actually, I have a question for folks who actually have access to
FPGA equipped systems (I have a bunch of FPGAs lying around, but the
very BEST system comms available is USB - and there's a Spartan
sitting on that one!!); sorry for dragging vendor names into this,
but I think it's probably the best way to illustrate the nature of
the system I have in mind - I'm speaking of systems of the ilk of the
Cray XD-1, Altix, and SRC's boxen. How much of a "multiple-use"
attitude is there with these systems?

Bioinformatics is great, but other tasks - e.g. network intrusion
detection, molecular dynamics, dense linear algebra - are also at
home on FPGAs. The issue is multiplexing of the resources for shared
access in a multi-user system, and this actually builds on top of the
need for standardized integration, which presumably is already
somewhat sorted on the systems mentioned. In a real world
"production" environment, what actually happens?