[Biococoa-dev] Base test

Jim Balhoff james.balhoff at duke.edu
Fri Aug 13 14:34:35 EDT 2004

Hi John,

On Aug 13, 2004, at 1:39 PM, John Timmer wrote:

> I was aware of the foundation functions that take strings for
> arguments and return selectors/classes.  Unfortunately, if we’re going
> to use singletons, we’d need to call Class methods to create them, not
> instance methods, and I’m not aware of any mechanism for calling a
> selector on a Class.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here - are you asking how to call a
class method?  These are just defined with a "+" instead of a "-" in
the header.  So you would just send a message to the class itself (no
need to allocate it or anything).  Like:

BCNucleotide *myG = [BCNucleotide gNucleotide];

The BCNucleotide class method would either allocate a new G instance,
or return one it already made.

Sorry I haven't been participating much in the design discussions - I'm
trying to write a dissertation here!  I am hoping to have lots of time
for coding in a couple of months.

- Jim

James P. Balhoff
Dept. of Biology