[Biococoa-dev] Nomenclature

John Timmer jtimmer at bellatlantic.net
Wed Aug 18 08:40:53 EDT 2004

I've created a new account at bioinformatics, this time jrtimmer.
Hopefully, this time it'll work better.

> I am probably the oldest, so I will make the decision on the naming :)
Okay, I've got to ask - how old are you?

The following methods and their associated variables can probably be shifted
up to the BCSymbol class (I'll do this later today):
- (NSString *)symbolString;
- (NSString *) savableRepresentation;
- (NSString *) description;

If we're only going to be working with items that have single letter codes,
we could also move
- (unichar) symbol;
As well.

The question I have is whether we'll ever allow anyone to rename the
symbols?  For the DNA nucleotides, I've overridden these methods to cause
them to have no effect them, since allowing a rename could lead to all sorts
of bizarre behavior.  Is there any case where it wouldn't?

Does anyone know a good class diagramming program?  It would be great to
have the following drawn out for the users.  It'll help them know where to
look for method documentation -