Fwd: [Biococoa-dev] singletons

Alexander Griekspoor mek at mekentosj.com
Sun Aug 22 04:39:40 EDT 2004

I got an error from the mailserver at biococoa so I'll try to send it
again:

Got it Koen.
If I look at it (again not understanding it completely as I haven't had
the time to really dive in biojava yet), it seems much of that code is
indeed in the (singleton object)  AlphabetManager
(AlphabetManager.java).

Quoted from tutorial:

The set of Symbol objects which may be found in a particular type of
sequence data are defined in an Alphabet. It it  always possible to
define custom Symbols and Alphabets, but BioJava supplies a set of
predefined alphabets for representing biological molecules. These are
accessible through a central registry called the AlphabetManager, and
through convenience methods.

FiniteAlphabet dna = DNATools.getDNA();
Iterator dnaSymbols = dna.iterator();
while (dnaSymbols.hasNext()) {
     Symbol s = (Symbol) dnaSymbols.next();
     System.out.println(s.getName());
}

Quoted from source:

/**
  * Utility methods for working with Alphabets.  Also acts as a registry
for
  * well-known alphabets.
  *
  * <p>
  * The alphabet interfaces themselves don't give you a lot of help in
actually
  * getting an alphabet instance. This is where the AlphabetManager
comes in
  * handy. It helps out in serialization, generating derived alphabets
and
  * building CrossProductAlphabet instances. It also contains limited
support for
  * parsing complex alphabet names back into the alphabets.
  * </p>
  *
  * @author Matthew Pocock
  * @author Thomas Down
  */

It seems to get the details from the xml file AlphabetManager.xml
It also has the methods to create the symbols like this one:
   /**
    * <p>
    * Generate a new AtomicSymbol instance with a token, name and
Annotation.
    * </p>
    *
    * <p>
    * Use this method if you wish to create an AtomicSymbol instance.
Initially it
    * will not be a member of any alphabet.
    * </p>
    *
    * @param token  the Char token returned by getToken() (ignpred as of
BioJava 1.2)
    * @param name  the String returned by getName()
    * @param annotatin the Annotation returned by getAnnotation()
    * @return a new AtomicSymbol instance
    * @deprecated Use the two-arg version of this method instead.
    */
   static public AtomicSymbol createSymbol(
     char token, String name, Annotation annotation
   ) {
     AtomicSymbol as = new FundamentalAtomicSymbol(name, annotation);
     return as;
   }

It also seems to contain the code to convert items in the xml file to
symbols, though my java isn't that good here.
Anyway, I already mentioned before that I very much like the idea of an
intermediate Alphabet layer also in BioCocoa.
In that, symbols make up alphabets, this way you for instance "solve"
the problem John is having that he has to instantiate all nucleotides
at once by creating the alphabets when needed (and thus automatically
fill it with all singletons that belong in there). This might also
answer the species specific protein problem, although I have to admit
that I don;t know exactly yet. Alphabets can be used for both proteins
and dna/rna as its simply a bag of symbols. Thus also solving the
problem that we need acgtn for dna and acgun for RNA (uracil is still
missing now), we could have a DNAAlphabet and RNAAlphabet. A lot of
questions and answers can be found in the cookbook on the biojava
website by the way.

Quote from cookbook:

In BioJava Alphabets are collections of Symbols. Common biological
alphabets (DNA, RNA, protein etc) are registered with the BioJava
AlphabetManager at startup and can be accessed by name. The DNA, RNA
and protein alphabets can also be accessed using convenient static
methods from DNATools, RNATools and ProteinTools respectively.

Both of these approaches are shown in the example below

import org.biojava.bio.symbol.*;
import java.util.*;
import org.biojava.bio.seq.*;
public class AlphabetExample {
     Alphabet dna, rna, prot;
     //get the DNA alphabet by name
     dna = AlphabetManager.alphabetForName("DNA");
     //get the RNA alphabet by name
     rna = AlphabetManager.alphabetForName("RNA");
     //get the Protein alphabet by name
     prot = AlphabetManager.alphabetForName("PROTEIN");
     //get the protein alphabet that includes the * termination Symbol
     prot = AlphabetManager.alphabetForName("PROTEIN-TERM");
     //get those same Alphabets from the Tools classes
     dna = DNATools.getDNA();
     rna = RNATools.getRNA();
     prot = ProteinTools.getAlphabet();
     //or the one with the * symbol
     prot = ProteinTools.getTAlphabet();
   }
}

Well, perhaps you get more ideas (and better) ideas when checking some
of the BioJava code). Tell us if you think how they solved the problem.
Again, also their tutorial and cookbook seems to give quite a bit of
info (I love the way they handle things like crossAlphabets where you
can for instance get all the symbols from two alphabets and also the
way the create codons (which consist of three symbols, but itself is
again one symbol. Thus you can create a sequence of codon symbols.)

In general I agree that it feels cluncky to instantiate so many things
hard coded and manually. I would love to see one of us come up with a
method to completely instantiate a singleton symbol (or alphabet of
symbols) from a plist, much like you would instantiate a dictionary
from a plist. The problem I see preventing this is that you have to
declare your statics beforehand, but maybe this is completely false.
Anyone can come up with the -(id)initAlphabetFromFile: method we're
looking for? ;-)

Cheers,
Alex

Op 21-aug-04 om 21:39 heeft Koen van der Drift het volgende geschreven:

                   AIM: mekentosj at mac.com
                   E-mail: a.griekspoor at nki.nl
               Web: http://www.mekentosj.com

                             iRNAi, do you?