[Biococoa-dev] BCSequence

Alexander Griekspoor mek at mekentosj.com
Mon Aug 23 14:49:55 EDT 2004

Op 23-aug-04 om 18:10 heeft John Timmer het volgende geschreven:

>>> Indeed, this is exactly what we don't want to do!! Therefore, this
>>> should NOT
>>> be a variable, rather a METHOD. Please change it to something like:
>>> -(NSString *)stringRepresentation;
>
> Okay, so given all this, how about the following:
> We delete the "sequenceString" variable from BCSequence
Yes please

> We implement " -(NSString *)stringRepresentation" to generate the
> string on
> the fly using "symbolString" on each Symbol (already done and waiting
> on
> approval to commit).
Yep, I agree

> Since the "initWithString" is not meant to be used in the base class
> anyway,
> and there's no variable to stick a string into anymore, we can have it
> return nil.  Subclasses should override it, as they should have.
I think that's indeed a good plan.

> As far as thread safety, I agree it is probably too early to start
> locking
> various methods down, but I think we should try as best we can to
> design our
> classes so that if/when it's time to do so, things are as simple as
> adding a
> few locks in critical places, rather than discovering that we need to
> redesign the class then.
True, although I do not have that much experience to keep that in mind
;-)

                     AIM: mekentosj at mac.com
                     E-mail: a.griekspoor at nki.nl
                 Web: http://www.mekentosj.com

Windows is a 32-bit patch to a 16-bit shell for an 8-bit
operating system, written for a 4-bit processor by a 2-
bit company without 1 bit of sense.

                       AIM: mekentosj at mac.com
                       E-mail: a.griekspoor at nki.nl
                    Web: http://www.mekentosj.com

MacOS X: The power of UNIX with the simplicity of the Mac