[Biococoa-dev] BCSequenceFactory

John Timmer jtimmer at bellatlantic.net
Thu Dec 2 17:59:13 EST 2004

>>>  When I did code profiling, the number of ObjC runtime calls went
>>> down, without a corresponding increase in CoreFoundation.  My
>>> assumption is that this would lower the total time a bit, but I¹ve
>>> not gone back and confirmed that.  This looks like a great chance to
>>> test that, because I agree that the readability of the later is much
>>> better.
>>>

>> We can always make a oneliner:
>>
>> aSymbol = [theSequence symbolAtIndex: loopCounter];
>>
>> that calls a convenience method:
>>

>> (BCSymbol *)CFArrayGetValueAtIndex( (CFArrayRef) theContents,
>> loopCounter)
>>

>> I guess this can go into BCSequence.

Yes, but then  you get back into calling through the ObjC runtime, which is
where things bogged down.  Since you'd go through BCSequence, then into
NSArray, it would be even worse than just calling it on the array.

Not that the method wouldn't be a bad one, just that it would have a
negative speed impact.

JT