[Biococoa-dev] more ramblings

Alexander Griekspoor mek at mekentosj.com
Fri Nov 19 05:41:25 EST 2004

> I think we all agree on this approach then. I wouldn't use categories,
> though, we can leave it in BCSequence. So we put the sequence
> manipulations in wrapper classes and provide appropriate convenience
> methods in BCSequence or one of its subclasses.

Yes, categories are nice for developers to quickly add features to
classes, but we shouldn't use them in a framework in my opinion. It
hopelessly scatters methods and often ends up in one big mess....

>>  Anyway, to stir up more controversy around here, I had always
>> envisioned something along the following structure:
>>
>>  Sequence bundle
>>  (groups related sequences)
>>  Sequence wrapper
>>  (holds features, notes, etc.)
>>  Sequence
>

> Sorry, but I have no idea what you mean by the scheme above.

It's an idea about how to further organize and extend the sequence
classes to a higher level. Especially with regards to annotations. The
sequence class which we all know and love (haha) would be the core
which contains the actual symbol sequence. Above that would be a
wrapper that contains this sequence, but also the accompanying
annotations, metadata and notes. Certainly when processing data you
don't always need the annotations and this way you can keep things
lightweight if needed. Above that you can envision the need for
sequence groups or clusters, related sequences for instance
(translations/conversions), alignments, genomes etc.
So, these is not a class hierarchy rather a wrapper hierarchy (if that
exist). How we practically implement and name this is another issue
(and probably long debate ;-), but  I think it's a nice working
model...
Hope I did makes clearer, and not even more fussy.

                     AIM: mekentosj at mac.com
                     E-mail: a.griekspoor at nki.nl
                 Web: http://www.mekentosj.com

Windows is a 32-bit patch to a 16-bit shell for an 8-bit
operating system, written for a 4-bit processor by a 2-
bit company without 1 bit of sense.