Fwd: [Biococoa-dev] more ramblings

Alexander Griekspoor mek at mekentosj.com
Thu Nov 25 17:17:48 EST 2004

Op 21-nov-04 om 13:19 heeft Koen van der Drift het volgende geschreven:

> On Nov 19, 2004, at 5:41 AM, Alexander Griekspoor wrote:
>
>> It's an idea about how to further organize and extend the sequence
>> classes to a higher level. Especially with regards to annotations.
>> The sequence class which we all know and love (haha) would be the
>> core which contains the actual symbol sequence. Above that would be a
>> wrapper that contains this sequence, but also the accompanying
>> annotations, metadata and notes. Certainly when processing data you
>> don't always need the annotations and this way you can keep things
>> lightweight if needed. Above that you can envision the need for
>> sequence groups or clusters, related sequences for instance
>> (translations/conversions), alignments, genomes etc.
>> So, these is not a class hierarchy rather a wrapper hierarchy (if
>> that exist). How we practically implement and name this is another
>> issue (and probably long debate ;-), but  I think it's a nice working
>> model...
>> Hope I did makes clearer, and not even more fussy.
>>

> Thanks - that indeed sounds like a good plan. I was working a bit on
> readClustalFile and it would indeed make a lot of sense to keep the
> files together, including the line that indicates the alignment. Also
> so far readFile ignores all information but the sequence. Right now,
> readFile returns an NSArray with sequences from the same file, but
> that should be not too difficult change, maybe to an NSDictionary? Or
> are you guys talking about a complete wrapper class?

Yes, because it would not only be a simple container of multiple
sequences, but would also contain "Metadata" about them, like
annotations, notes, relation parameters etc... A dictionary would be a
property of the wrapper class. But for the moment, if you return an
array of sequences it should be easily converted to use the wrappers
once they are there...

                   E-mail: a.griekspoor at nki.nl
	        AIM: mekentosj at mac.com
               Web: http://www.mekentosj.com