[Biococoa-dev] BCNucleotideRNA

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 23 20:22:55 EDT 2004

On Sep 23, 2004, at 7:29 AM, Alexander Griekspoor wrote:

> A nucleoside (with an s) consists of a nitrogenous base covalently
> attached
> to a (ribose or deoxyribose) sugar but without the phosphate group.
>
> A nucleotide (with a t) consists of a nitrogenous base, a sugar, and a
> phosphate group. So, a nucleotide is a "nucleoside mono-phosphate."

In that case, should all the occurances of 'base' in the code be
replaced by 'nucleotide'? Eg in isSingleBase, representedBases, etc.
It's up to you guys, whatever you think is more accepted in the field.
Also, when we do the MW calculation of a BCNucleotideDNA, we actually
are calculating just the MW of the bases? If so, should we add the mass
of a (deoxy)ribose and a phosphate to each unit?