[Biococoa-dev] NSValue addition

John Timmer jtimmer at bellatlantic.net
Tue Sep 28 19:24:24 EDT 2004

> Looks good, although I agree with Alex to put such functionality in
> wrappers. Just a small comment, would you mind renaming it to something
> that starts with BCUtil... ?

No, no problem - I'll try to get to that tomorrow.

Just to comment on where Ranges are useful - let's say you want to mark a
DNA sequence's ORFs >25bp long.  You translate it, then ask the
BCCodonSequence where the ORFs are.  You create an ORF object, but then
you're already two objects removed from the original sequence.  The
intermediate item, the CodonSequence, doesn't know about either of them, or
how to keep all the information in synch if anything changes.

Returning an array of ranges will allow you to quickly mark them in the
original sequence.  I'm not saying there's no call for wrappers, just when
there are obvious uses for something like a Range, you should also  supply
those methods.

JT