[Biococoa-dev] BCSymbol flexibility

John Timmer jtimmer at bellatlantic.net
Tue Apr 5 11:17:49 EDT 2005

Just wanted to confirm something that I can do in about 5 minutes is a good
idea before doing it:

Part of the point of making the symbol definitions .plists was that they'd
be extremely easy to extend.  For performance reasons, so far we've simply
added ivars for everything in the .plist, but that may not be necessary in
all cases.  For some cases, or for convenience, it may be worthwhile to
simply leave some information stored in the dictionary that's used to
initialize the symbol.

Right now, however, to get access to that information, a user would have to
grab the dictionary, then query it directly.  It seems a better idea to
simply add a "valueForKey:" method to BCSymbol, and use that to return the
value out of the dictionary.

Does anyone think that doing so is a bad idea?

JT