[Biococoa-dev] BCSequence init methods

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 5 08:07:27 EST 2005

Charles,

A first comment/question about your new code. I compiled the
Translation demo, and now get a few warnings such as these:

Examples/Translation/theController.m:71: warning: passing arg 1 of
`translateDNASequence:usingGeneticCode:' from incompatible pointer type

I understand why I get these, because I am just using BCSequence,
instead of one of its subclasses. If put in typecasts, the warnings go
away. So for instance

NSArray *translation = [BCToolTranslatorDNA translateDNASequence:
theSequence usingGeneticCode: BCUniversalCodeDNA];

Will not give a warning when changed to:

NSArray *translation = [BCToolTranslatorDNA translateDNASequence:
(BCSequenceDNA*) theSequence usingGeneticCode: BCUniversalCodeDNA];

However, I thought that one of the benefits of the class cluster
approach would be that we can just use BCSequence transparantly without
having to worry about which subclass we are dealing with. Maybe I still
don't understand your approach, could you comment on this?

cheers,