CoreDate (was: [Biococoa-dev] WWDC2005)

Alexander Griekspoor mek at mekentosj.com
Thu Feb 17 11:22:44 EST 2005

> My guess is that those stats are an over-estimation of the rate for the
> people we'd be writing software for.
No doubt this is not a representative sample, you're absolutely right,
but I do stick to my 80-90% conversion to 10.3.
Yes, there are those machines which are never upgraded, but these are
often shared, or say hooked to a scanner or machine. Macs that people
work enthusiastically on are often happily updated by the user.
Anyway, you nicely dodge the question ;-)
Yes, a 10.4 version would be nice as a separate branch, but in my
opinion the base version should be lifted to 10.3 instead of 10.2. You
mention the reason yourself:

> The trick is that, to make the queries and bindings work, you have to
> make everything you store
> key/value coding compliant.  We'd need to do a lot of work to get
> there.

And the KVC, KVO protocols are first of all easy to implement, second
it gives you bindings for (almost) free and IMHO all classes we produce
should be compatible (even if you make the 10.2 compatible), key value
coding (using accessors) is something we do already anyway. It's not
difficult and not that much of work actually.
Switching to 10.3 has two main advantages, first the binding
possibilities, second that it forms a much stronger basis for a 10.4
version with WAY less differences (read: less work). I still think
there might be possibilities to actually implement the 10.4 part as an
extension (through categories?) on top of a base 10.3 version, but if
the differences are too big we might end up with two different ones.
With 10.2 as a base, the latter is truly the only solution.

Remember, right now 10% is on 10.2, once Tiger will be out that will
drop to even less (I know people who will skip 10.3 but will go for
10.4), and our framework isn't even out yet (add a few months) and the
first app will come even later right (add even a few more months), who
will still use 10.2 by then?

Cheers,
Alex

                     AIM: mekentosj at mac.com
                     E-mail: a.griekspoor at nki.nl
                 Web: http://www.mekentosj.com

Windows is a 32-bit patch to a 16-bit shell for an 8-bit
operating system, written for a 4-bit processor by a 2-
bit company without 1 bit of sense.