[Biococoa-dev] BCSequence implementation

Charles PARNOT charles.parnot at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 24 00:56:19 EST 2005

Being in California, I am the last one to write and it's not fair, everybody else already said what I wanted to say!! But that's OK, the weather is good...

I still want to add my 2 cents:

* Categories: creating more categories won't reduce the 'size' of the BCSequence class at runtime, and this 'size' is not really relevant in terms of memory or performance, so I think we should not be afraid of a big big class with lots lots of methods... The analogy with NSString is perfect: does anybody complain about NSString being bloated?

* Categories files: yes there should be only one header, because potentially the user of the framework will want to import the header for the class, and it is just easier to have everything in one file then; however, having several implementation files is OK, and is even better IMO; easier to navigate

* NSArray of BCSymbols vs arrays of chars: I am on John and Alex's side; the object might be bigger, but not much much bigger; performance may be an issue at some point but it is difficult to really predict what is going to happen until you face the issue; in which case translating back and forth to a different structure might make sense if the performance is an issue  (in that I don't completely agree with Alex)

* Performance again: I don't know how many of you have used Shark, but with such a tool, we should be able to improve performance dramatically when the framework is more mature and is facing the real world; Shark is a great great application that get right to the performance bottlenecks... and they might be anywhere, and not necessarily where you would predict:
http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?OptimizeLater

* frameworks: it is indeed a good idea; with multiple targets, it also makes recompiling less frequent, e.g. if a file modified by somebody else is in another framework;

charles

--
Help science go fast forward:
http://cmgm.stanford.edu/~cparnot/xgrid-stanford/