[Biococoa-dev] BioCocoa invitation

Charles PARNOT charles.parnot at stanford.edu
Sun Jan 9 00:45:17 EST 2005

Sounds good to me too!
Maybe you could also simply put up a small annoucement with about the same contents in the BioCocoa page of the wiki (there is one, right?), dated and stating that Biococoa  is looking for developers that know their biology, at least for discussion (and not just any developer).

Charles

NB: wow, a short email! Don't sigh of relief yet, more is coming...

>Hi guys,
>
>I wrote this 'invitation' that we can send out to possible new developers. Let me know if you think this is ok, and if I missed anything.
>
>cheers,
>
>- Koen.
>
>-------------------------
>

>Dear FooBar,
>
>I found your name on the CocoaDev mailing list. I am one of the core developers of the BioCocoa project, an open source framework for reading, writing, and manipulating various biological sequences. Originally the framework was aimed also at GNUStep and only focused on reading and writing sequences, which is still the official version that you can download from the website at http://bioinformatics.org/biococoa/. A few months ago a couple of mac loving bioscientists joined the project, and it was transformed in a Cocoa-only framework, and extended to be able to do other things with sequences than reading and writing. You could say that it is trying to be the Cocoa/Obj-C sibling of BioJava, BioPerl, etc.
>
>So far we have created a set of new classes, that we believe should be a solid base for extending the whole framework. However, we still have many discussions  what would be the best design. For instance, currently we have a core class BCSequence, with various subclasses for DNA, RNA, and proteins. We have had many discussions whether we actually should subclass BCSequence (eg BioCocoa doesn't subclass it's main sequence class). Recently we have been discussing if maybe we should use the class cluster design for the various sequence classes,
>
>At the moment we are only a small group of developers, mainly with a scientific background. Based on the description on the CocoaDev webpage, it seems you could be a valuable addition to the BioCocoa project. So we were wondering if you would be interested in joining the development team, and the discussions on our mailing list (see http://bioinformatics.org/project/?group_id=318 for more info).
>
>Feel free to have a look at the code and the current discussions, and let me or one of the other developers know if you are interested. We look forward to your reply,
>
>On behalf of the BioCocoa Team, best regards,
>

>Koen van der Drift

Charles Parnot
charles.parnot at stanford.edu

Help science go fast forward: