[Biococoa-dev] Re: a new design to please everybody (am I pleased?)

Peter Schols peter.schols at bio.kuleuven.ac.be
Sun Jan 9 13:05:06 EST 2005

Thanks John, this clears some things up for me.
One of the good things about Cocoa - at least for me - is that you need
very few "checks" when compared to other languages / frameworks. Some
Java source code I have looked at (I'm not a Java expert) had much more
checks. I agree that we have to make sure that the framework itself
takes care of most of the checking (by offering the possibility to have
errors caught at compile time), so that the code written by users of
the framework can be as simple as possible.

I was - and I still am - a big proponent of the class cluster approach
because it would offer the user of the framework a very easy interface.
I think we would all prefer that the framework would handle all the
details for us behind the scenes with one, powerful BCSequence class as
the only interface.
However, now that John convinced me that strong typing is necessary as
well - or should at least be available for the users who want it - I'm
not so sure what value the class cluster approach would add. Let me
explain this: the reason I love the NSString cluster, for example is
that I don't have to bother choosing between NSSmallString and
NSLargeMutableString or whatever class I'm actually creating by
creating an NSString. And that I don't have to do the type checking to
see whether the particular NSXXXString instance responds to a given
method. But what would be the point of it if I was forced to check the
type of NSString the framework created for me (which would expose me to
the different classes in the cluster anyway)?

In other words, I'd love the class cluster approach with one,
good-for-all BCSequence class if this were the only interface, just
like with NSString or NSArray. But what would be the point of having
the cluster around if we will need to deal with the subclasses (or
related, more specific classes) anyway. Wouldn't that be an unnecessary
duplication of the interface users will have to learn, or at least be
confusing? The point I want to make is: shouldn't we choose one
approach, in stead of offering two options to the users?

Again, this is just a question I'm asking myself, maybe I'm completely
wrong. I have never designed a framework before, I just want to help
out by thinking about this and by asking - possibly stupid - questions
(and by writing some code as soon as we have taken a decision, of
course ;-)).

Peter