[Biococoa-dev] Should we choose?

Charles PARNOT charles.parnot at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 12 01:41:27 EST 2005

>Hi Charles,
>
>Thanks for your reassuring mail. Your description takes care of my major concerns about the schizophrenic nature of the framework and about the difficulties we could face explaining the interface to our users (developers).
>It seems that BCSequenceGeneric would require very little effort to create and even less effort to maintain while offering users easy-access to the entire framework.
>I also like your API documentation proposals.
>
>It's my opinion too that - if everybody agrees with this structure - we can start implementing it.
>
>Peter

Wow, it looks like we get a nice unanimous agreement! I guess I will have to write the (very little) code needed for BCSequenceGeneric, now that I bragged so much about it. BTW, is the naming OK? I was tempted to propose simply BCSequence for the generic subclass, but I think in the end, BCSequenceGeneric (or something equivalent) could carry more sense and be clearer for everybody, particularly if living with other subclasses. And keeping the superclass name to BCSequence is also more consistent with the class hierarchy. OK, I know, I am just arguing with myself, here.

Next issues are:
* annotations (a new ivar in the superclass, and a category of the superclass for the implementation??)
* mutable/immutable: another hot debate coming soon... I might fall for the subclassing option...

Charles

NB: I will send some code to the list asap. I am not sure I want to deal with CVS immediately. Well, I am not a 'developer' yet, anyway ;-). The compiling of the most recent BioCocoa anonymously CVS-ed was troublesome with my Xcode settings for build paths, etc... and I need to figure that out before I mess up your project.

--
Charles Parnot
charles.parnot at stanford.edu

Help science go fast forward: