[Biococoa-dev] About BCSequence (again ;-)

Alexander Griekspoor mek at mekentosj.com
Mon Jul 4 05:12:46 EDT 2005

See, that's what I mean, the diagram doesn't make sense to me
already! What's the difference between bcsequence and
bcsequencenucleotide. The implementation is even harder to get. Let's
not throw everything away, but I would like to see how practically
the one-for-all bcsequence would work. In addition, I have the
feeling (but might be terribly wrong) that annotations are way
simpler to implement if there's only one kind of sequence object.
If I understand it right, a BCSequence object than becomes "typed" on
the basis of the BCSequenceSet it has been assigned right? Koen or
Charles, could you do a proposal on what the BC world would look like
if we choose this model of the general BCSequence object. Could you
perhaps speculate/describe:

1 how you create such objects
2 what role sequence sets play in this
3 how one would be able to get its "type"
4 how you would do a simple reverse and what would be returned (for
DNA and Protein)
5 how you would do a translation from DNA to Protein
6 how annotations would fit it?

Pfeww, all our problems solved ;-) Just kidding, but if we can agree
that these problems can be tackled nicely with a single BCSequence
object in a way logical to ourselves and new users, IMHO I think we
have our design...
Cheers,
Alex

                   AIM: mekentosj at mac.com