[BioCocoa-Dev] Project Update...cvs struggle

Charles PARNOT charles.parnot at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 21 15:04:27 EST 2005

At 9:27 +0100 3/21/05, Alexander Griekspoor wrote:
>Well I used CVL yesterday but that didn't help much either, for instance it refused to get the English.lproj folder in as well. Another such irritations, it started to mark almost every folder as "need update" because it didn't know how to handle DS_Store files ?!
>But perhaps this was all because XCode had already screwed up for me... For simple updates/modifications XCode is fine, but the moment you want to add things to the repository it's hell. Charles, have you completely disabled CVS in XCode?
>Alex

Yes, I have.
The problem with Xcode is:
* it does not care about files that are not referenced in the project, but cvs does.
* it does not handle new folders
* it does the cvs removal for you when you remove a file from the project, which is often not wanted

CVL is much closer to CVS in terms of the logic. The fact that is is GUI makes it much simpler than the CVS CLI, and seeing the filesystem hierarchy in the GUI is also very useful.

At 9:30 +0100 3/21/05, Alexander Griekspoor wrote:

>>Finally, I had to restore the right MainMenu.nib file in the translation demo. I think with your reorganization you by accident used the one from the Peptides demo ;-)
>
>Yeah, now I remember something like that indeed, the trick is to FIRST copy the files in the proper folder, then add them to the XCode project. Initially I just dropped the files from another location into the project, resulting in all files being copied in the root. Then I had to move them and somewhere that is where the mistake must have happened. Pfeww, I'm glad this is all over and everything works now. No one of you had troubles with the renames/moved plist files/targets? Great!
>Alex
>
>>- Koen.

Again, CVL would have been a bit easier here, because at least you see immediately what goes wrong. (remember to do command-L to refresh the status, when appropriate).

I was using CVL before starting BioCocoa, then gave Xcode another chance when I started working on the project, and moved back to CVL 3 weeks ago. You still need the public/private key trick, but don't put any password on your private key. You can still remove it without generating a new key.

I was thinking of adding a how-to about that in the developer docs.

charles

--
Help science go fast forward:
http://cmgm.stanford.edu/~cparnot/xgrid-stanford/