[Biococoa-dev] strider and gck format

Alexander Griekspoor a.griekspoor at nki.nl
Sat Mar 11 04:44:39 EST 2006

Hi Koen,

Both the GCK and the Strider files are inherited from the good old
MacOS9 period. In those days you would identify files using a type/
creator code, and that's what I check for in this code. You will
never see these 4 character codes unless you use a program like
resedit, and they are not the same as file extensions, in fact under
MacOS9 you would never use file extensions unless you wanted your
Windows buddies to open your word file as well. So NSHFSTypeOfFile is
not the same as [filepath pathExtension].
The problem is that both filetypes are in binary format compared to
the other formats which are ASCII based. Trying to read in the file
as a string with ascii encoding creates some garbage which is
impossible to interpret, let alone determine the filetype from. So
the options were to either read all files in as data and check if it
would fit the header of either filetype, and try to make anything out
of that (quite tricky!) or simply to the filetype check. As a result
I changed the code to have it pass the filepath instead of the raw
text to the reader class. It better isolates code (no more reading at
all in the delegate class), but we sacrifice the possibility to work
with remote files. Guess this could be easily added to through a
readFileFromURL method.
Now that I think of it, perhaps we should also check for the file
extensions that are added to GCK files if you create them on the
windows platform. I'm not sure if in those files the creator/type
codes are added, I could check that on monday...
Hope this clears things up?
Alex

                   AIM: mekentosj at mac.com
                   E-mail: a.griekspoor at nki.nl