[Biodevelopers] Internship Advise

Ognen Duzlevski maketo at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Nov 16 07:47:35 EST 2006

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, Arman Aksoy wrote:

> Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 17:59:19 +0000
> From: Arman Aksoy <armish at linux-sevenler.org>
> To: biodevelopers at bioinformatics.org
> Subject: [Biodevelopers] Internship Advise
>
> Hi all,
>
> If this kind of e-mail was posted before, I really want to apologise it  but I need some fresh info about internships and probably you are the best to help or advise me on this.
>
> First of all I am a sophomore student at Molecular Biology and Genetics Depertmant of Bogazici University at Turkey (www.boun.edu.tr).
>
> I have a good computer background included abilities of programming with several languages. I also continue a Double Major Program with Mathematics Department in my school.
>
> I want to learn if it is ever possible that I can apply to some internships on Bioinformatics. Or if I do, would you recommend some universities for me to apply?
>
> Thanks a lot, regards!

Hi Arman,

I think a lot of people in various institutes and companies are looking at
this list. In fact, in 2001 when I went for an internship with the Stowers
Institute in Kansas City, MO, this was the route to my discovery as a
potential candidate. However, in my humble opinion, today there are many
many more people who are doing something in the bioinformatics field
(either getting a degree or hacking on some project) and the demand has
levelled off. Several years ago it was enough just to utter the words "I
want to be <XXXXYYY> in a bioinformatics group" and you would get an offer
somewhere. I don't think that's the case now, could be wrong though. In my
mind, a person has a better chance if they have done something cool and
then are looking for an opportunity.

But, I have been wrong many times before. Good luck.

One group that I know always had summer interns is Dr. Dong Xu's Digital
Biology Lab at the University of Missouri-Columbia
(http://digbio.missouri.edu). The University is also actively looking for
fellows.

Cheers,
Ognen