[BioEdu] Bioinformatics Curriculum

Martin Gollery marty.gollery at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 19:35:35 EDT 2006

Yes, one of the questions about development of a Bioinformatics program is
whether to start with a graduate degree or undergraduate. Most Universities
have started with the graduate program first, but this is not necessarily
the way to go, as Zadeh states. What do you all think is the way to go?

Marty

On 8/8/06, David Lapointe <david.lapointe at umassmed.edu> wrote:

> The May/June issue of IEEE Potentials has a interesting article on
> developing
> undergraduate programs in bioinformatics.  A major point that the author,
> Jeff Zadeh, of Virginia State University, makes is that an undergraduate
> curricula makes possible the interdisciplinary foundation that
> bioinformatics
> needs: biology, mathematics, and computer science. Undergraduate study is
> inherently interdiscipline, whereas in graduate school there is more focus
> on
> research  and discipline specific studies.
> --
> .david
> David Lapointe
> "What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly." - T.Paine

Martin Gollery
Associate Director
Center For Bioinformatics
University of Nevada at Reno