[Biophp-dev] Seeking comments on CVS, XML, and other TLA's

Dong Gregorio biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 13:35:35 +0800

Welcome, Greg!  Nice to see another "Greg" on board.  =)

As for the build, I'm PHP (4.2 I think) on a Windows machine,
and Apache 1.3.  Haven't found the time yet to get the latest.
How about you, Sean?  What are you using?

>  |And about XML:
>
>Is it worth all the extra hassle ? In the mood for opening a "can of
>worms" is see ;]

Hehe, well, Sean, how about it?  =)

>Further points:
>
>- BioPHP consistency -> many "bio" formats are moving to xml
>- Regexs are error prone
>- Differentiate BioPHP as fundamentally supporting XML
>- Why bother with flatfiles ? BioPerl/Python/Java probably do
>  these already

>[1] http://pear.php.net/manual/en/
>[2] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query/static/esearch_help.html
>[3] http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/04/02/deviant.html