[Biophp-dev] Re: Autodetecting Parsers and Hurting brains

Serge Gregorio biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 06 May 2003 14:32:51 +0800

Hello all!

>The parse class now accepts filehandles, filenames, arrays and text.
>The autodetect function will open a file (if there is a filehandle), read
>the first line and rewind the filepointer.  Users can avoid this by
>specifying a seqfiletype.

For Nico: W-O-W!  I'd like to take a look at it.

>class (and we should rename the thing, Serge, what should it be >called?).

Ummm... how about class Data?  BioData?  DataStore?  DataObject?
DataStream?  DataIO?

>Sean,could you rework the fasta parser so that it will also work with
>files/streams directly (instead of reading them into memory)?  Once >you have done that I'll have a look at the other parsers.

Hey, congratulations guys... looks like we're making good progress!

Any comments regarding the *proposed* action plan?  I hope it
doesn't overwhelm you... I just have this habit of releasing
stuff in big chunks...  also, the tasking there shouldn't be
interpreted as being rigid...  being assigned to work on parsers doesn't mean you can't contribute to say, the eFetch/XML stuff,
and vice-versa.

BTW, have something to share with you... stay tuned!

Serge

Check out the new EudoraMail at
http://www.eudoramail.com