[Biophp-dev] Is a May 2003 release possible?

S Clark biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 8 May 2003 10:39:20 -0600

On Thursday 08 May 2003 07:34 am, Serge Gregorio wrote:
> Btw, would it be possible to make a release before the end
> of May?  I've been working on release 1.1 since April 1st,
> and am ready to go public with it May 15 (which was my origi-
> nal plan back then when the only Sean I knew was Sean Penn.)
>
> But if Sean can make his eFetch/eUtils work around that time
> (May 15 - 21) and Nico can write a few more parsers (PIR or
> mmCIF perhaps?), maybe it would be better to release all of
> our work a week later (May 25 - 30).

Possibly - I wouldn't bother with a "set" release date, personally.
Instead - what capabilities should make up the next "formal release"
(i.e. "it's ready to release when THESE capabilities are implemented
and tested")?

Should we include editing for PEAR standards and implementation of
interface methods in all objects part of the goal for the next release?

Oh, and one last question - where in the structure should the EUtils and
NCBI Blast modules fit?  MOST of those don't really have a direct
relationship to sequences (except for EFetch from the nucleotide or
protein databases, and of course, INdirectly in some cases).

> By the way, I'm working a variety of stuff, from the Enzyme
> class to some esoteric sequence alignment code.  That's why
> I used the term "miscellaneous code" in the action plan.

Spiffy, looking forward to seeing it!