[Pdbwiki-devel] Annotated pages category

Jose M. Duarte jose.m.duarte at gmail.com
Fri May 8 04:30:46 EDT 2009

> With regard to the comments counts - I also noticed some strange
> 'empty' comments too - I think these are entries that were commented
> on, but where the comment was later deleted. These pages have the
> 'edit mark' (and get pulled up by the DPL), but their is no comment
> text.

Alright that makes sense, thanks for the explanation. Then let's asume that
the 77 list is correct.

> About the category for user comments - something simple is best... I
> don't know for sure but simply [[Category:User comment]] or
> [[Category:Comment]] would be fine I think. However, I'd suggest that
> we add the category via a template anyway, so that way we can very
> easily change the category name later, if we decide to rename.
> Essentially any static text in a page should probably be provided by a
> template.

That sounds like a good idea. I'll use a template then.

> One further question, seeing as we are doing a general upgrade, should
> I set the 'pretty URL' configuration options?

Fine with that, let's try it out in the MPI server and if all is fine go
ahead with it.

> Oh, I just remembered one thing we never discussed... weather or not
> to use the discussion page for an entry as the place to put the user
> comments or weather to create a separate comments page and to put
> comments there. I vote for the former, its simpler, cleaner and more
> intuitive in my opinion. The latter solution creates two extra and
> essentially redundant comments pages.

I agree with that. I'd go for using the discussion page alone. However that
requires some changes, i.e. copying the content of the user comments pages
to the discussion page and moving some other things around. Anyway I suppose
it shouldn't be too difficult. If we agree in doing this I can try to run
some scripts to do the conversion.

> I'll try to grab your script from the SVN (I didn't play with that
> yet) and have a look.

Or you can directly use it from here:

http://talyn:8080/mediawiki-1.14.0/getCommentedPages.php

By the way, the server is (finally!) up to date with the latest PDB release.
Have a look in talyn (but the listing of annotated structures is broken at
the moment).

Cheers

Jose