[Pdbwiki-devel] PHP upgrade

Dan Bolser dan.bolser at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 10:44:16 EST 2010

2010/1/14 Jose M. Duarte <jose.m.duarte at gmail.com>:
> Hi guys
>
> I've been trying to see if we can get the server up and running again. The
> funny thing is that our mirror server in Korea is also down, now that's
> really bad luck.... Fortunately we have triple redundancy with the MPI
> servers! So I've been installing today latest apache and latest working php
> (that's 5.2.10, thanks for the tip Dan). I've got the latest snapshot of the
> db mounted here and I'm transfering now the rest of data (image files and so
> on). Once all is here we'll have it mirrored in our local server on 8080.
>
> Now I've just been talking to the sysadmins here and they have agreed on
> letting us serve the wiki from our servers! That is really good news, I
> still have to go through the final details and talk to the network guy to
> open the firewall and all that, but the good news is that is doable. We
> might have a server up and running as soon as tomorrow. I'll let you know
> when I know the details for DNS switching and all that. Anyway it seems that
> Jeff is working hard... so we might not even need this. Let's see.
>
> For the long run I'd still prefer to use bioinformatics.org, simply because
> in here we would need to take care of security and patching ourselves which
> isn't easy.

True that!

Thanks for the sterling work Jose!

Basically DNS requires making a switch on the GoDaddy site, and adding
the appropriate VHost commands to Apache. If you like we can do it as
before and test the 'swap over' with one of my other domains, such as
http://geneticguru.com ... Hmm... seems it's still pointing at PDBWiki
on bioinformatics.org, and that Apache is still configured to handle
things correctly!

The issue with the Korean server is quite dire... it hosts around 800
domains, and they are all down :(

What we really need for security is a virtual machine that does
nothing but run PDBWiki...

Thanks again for working on this,

Dan.