[ssml] psi-blast itteration...

Mensur Dlakic mensur at umich.edu
Sat Aug 30 12:16:15 EDT 2003

Hi,

I have seen the same thing happen many times with different versions of
BLAST and don't think it's a bug. Intuitively, I think this is because in
the initial round the sequence is scored using the substitution matrix
alone, while in the second iteration the profile is already built based on
that single sequence, and naturally it comes closer to the sequence itself
than the substitution matrix.

Cheers,

Mensur

At 10:28 AM 8/30/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello everyone!
>
>Welcome to the list!
>
>I have a question regrding a psi-blast result using scop
>sunid 81250 against SPTremble ac Q8WTS6 (using a quite NR
>SPTremble as the search space).
>
>I get only a single HSP, but two itterations, and the exact
>same HSP has a better E-Value in the second itteration.
>
>Is this a bug or is there some reason why the scoring system
>can vary in this way?
>
>I am using the latest version of psiblast ca one month ago.

| Mensur Dlakic, Ph.D.              | Tel: (406) 994-2903                |
| Department of Microbiology        | Fax: (406) 994-4926                |
| Montana State University          | http://www.umich.edu/~mensur/      |
| 109 Lewis Hall, P.O. Box 173520   | http://myprofile.cos.com/mensur    |
| Bozeman, MT 59717-3520            | E-mail: mdlakic at montana.edu        |