[ssml] Re: Slides to demonstrate conservation of protein structure?

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 12 12:54:24 EDT 2004

Thanks all for the suggestions! I made some slides but they are not really
what I hoped for...

Anyway, I can provide them for anyone on request.

Now I have another question - What is the original reference for the 'well
known fact' that protein structure is more conserved than sequence?

It was pointed out by Max Perutz when the first protein structures were
solved in parrallel with John Kendrew (heamaglobin / myoglobin from horse
/ whale although I forget which from which).

They didn't see sequence identity, but found structural identity (by
conincidence?). Also the protein was all alpha, just after Linus Pauling
predicted that would be a stable form of protein.

I was thinking that the original RMSD / sequence identity relationship by
Chothiea and Lesk, but that dosen't really show the fact that the
structure is conserved as sequence diverges. Or does it?

Is there a reprint of the latter article?

Cheers,
Dan.