[ssml] About Blast

Robert Citek rwcitek at alum.calberkeley.org
Thu May 12 13:08:14 EDT 2005

Hello Veronica,

On May 12, 2005, at 10:07 AM, Veronica Martinez wrote:
> I would like to ask you something... I'll be using Blast and
> analizing Blast
> results and, since I haven't done much in that field, I would like
> to know
> more about it (I've done a few alignments before, but there must be
> surely a
> lot I still don't know, like results to be careful with, things to
> have in
> mind whenever you get Blast results using different databases,
> etc). Do you
> know any good starting points? Any comments will be greatly
> appreciated.

If you are just starting with BLAST, I'd recommend the O'Reilly BLAST
book:

   http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/blast/

Ian has also written some short articles on the oreilly site, but I
can't seem to find them right now.  If you want more details on the
internals of BLAST, I'd follow the references in the "Further
Reading" section at the end of each chapter.

Good luck and let us know if the book was what you are looking for.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent