[ssml] BLAST fastacmd failed to fetch sequence from database stored on PVFS2 filesystem

Yun He jarod at nlbmol.ibp.ac.cn
Thu Dec 6 23:07:21 EST 2007

Yes, to decrease the network traffic and the server IO, I had copied the
databases to every node's local disk. Here I just want to test the
performance of PVFS2 since it is said it shows excellent performance in
large-IO environment. Yestoday I used FORMATDB to format the nr database in
local disk and in PVFS2. The procedure was successful in local disk, but FAIL
in PVFS2.

This is the log file of FORMATDB in local disk with successful messages:
========================[ Dec 6, 2007  9:07 PM ]========================
Version 2.2.17 [Aug-26-2007]
Started database file "nr"
Closing volume nr with 2976302 sequences, 999,999,232 letters(.psq file =
1002976321 bytes; .phr file = 846550430 bytes)
Formatted 2976302 sequences in volume 0
Version 2.2.17 [Aug-26-2007]
Started database file "nr"
Formatted 2702180 sequences in volume 1
SUCCESS: formatted database nr

This is the log file of FORMATDB in PVFS2 complaining the errors:
========================[ Dec 6, 2007  9:28 PM ]========================
Version 2.2.17 [Aug-26-2007]
Started database file "nr"
Closing volume nr with 2976302 sequences, 999,999,232 letters(.psq file =
1002976321 bytes; .phr file = 846550430 bytes)
ERROR: [000.000] Failed to create index: ISAMErrorCode -5.

Removed single-volume database nr
FATAL ERROR: [001.000] Fatal error when adding sequence to BLAST database.

--
Yun He   Ph.D.
National Laboratory of Biomacromolecules
E-mail: jarod at nlbmol.ibp.ac.cn
  or    jarod at spg.biosci.tsinghua.edu.cn