Strap's security concept
Since Strap is an application and has access to the hard-disk, users may be worried about losing
data and program settings.
Restriction of file modification
The open-source program Strap has been carefully programmed to
prevent any damage. A file is modified, created or deleted by
Strap only if the file is within the project directory or if the
file path contains the text pattern "strapalign".
This restriction prevents data from being
damaged by erroneous code in Strap.
It is implemented in a
particular program part where all file
modifications are performed.
This security check does not work for file access of embedded programs such as ClustalW (see below).
Strap uses a number of other programs such as ClustalW.
The user may not trust certain programs used by Strap since they can directly access the file
For each program, users can decide whether it is started or not if
the respective check-box in Preferences > Security is
The user is asked before external programs such as ClustalW are
run. If the user does not trust this particular program, execution can
Strap does not change configurations
- It does not change the Windows-registry.
- It does not install or replace shared libraries or DLLs.
- It does not change the association of applications and file types.
If the check-box "Upload data without asking" in Preferences
> Security is deactivated, Strap uploads data to Bioinformatics
servers only after requesting permission from the user.
Still worried about running Strap?
One option is to set up a virtual PC with VirtualBox.
Other methods depend on the operation system:
Sandboxie is a safe environment to run untrusted software on Windows PC.
Sandboxie is easy to install and allows to start STRAP or any other program from a sandboxed web browser.
Summary: Create an extra user account for testing untrusted software. Login as this user and run Strap.
Starting a program as the new user:
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click User Accounts.
- If some settings are dimmed, click the lock icon and type an administrator name and password.
- Click Add (+) and type the user's name.
Now you can start programs like the browser or start Strap
- First open the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal).
- In the terminal type
Enter the password for this user.
open -a Safari
Nothing you do as the different user can harm your data.
- Create an extra user account for testing untrusted software.
- First open the Terminal
- Login as this user. Type:
- Run Strap.