[BiO BB] introduction to bioinfo

Philipp Pagel philipp.pagel at cmp.yale.edu
Tue Oct 30 14:33:54 EST 2001

	Hi!

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 06:36:11PM +0100, Ingrid Marchal wrote:
> I am a biochemist and don't know much on bioinformatics... Can anyone
> suggest me a good introductory book?

Although not exactly cheap I would recommend "Bioinformatics" by
David W. Mount. In my opinion the author succeeded in hitting the right
level: You can understand the text without beeing a computer scientist but
it is not shallow at all - you really learn how things are done.
Up to now the best book on the subject I have found.

One book I would not recommend although it has gotten a lot of attention
is "Developing bioinformatics computer skills" by Gibas and Jambeck.
This book is nice to flip through if you are looking for interesting things
on the web but you will certainly not learn anything - it is quite shallow.

cu
	Philipp

--
Dr. Philipp Pagel
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology         phone: (203) 785-6835