[BiO BB] Bioinformatics Project / Science Fair

Deborah_Walsh at idg.com Deborah_Walsh at idg.com
Thu Apr 18 08:56:28 EDT 2002

Dear Tarak - This is an ambitious project - good luck! You'll find lots of great
information just by surfing the web. In fact, our web site at
http://www.bio-itworld.com would be a great resource, and it has links to others
that might help as well. If I can be of any further assistance, please don't
hesitate to contact me.

Debbie Walsh
Director of Audience Development
Bio-IT World
P.O. Box 9010
500 Old Connecticut Path
Framingham, MA 01701
(508)628-4809
dwalsh at idg.com

|--------+------------------------>
|        |          "Tarak        |
|        |          Upadhyaya"    |
|        |          <hyndu007 at hotm|
|        |          ail.com>      |
|        |                        |
|        |          04/17/2002    |
|        |          11:28 PM      |
|        |          Please respond|
|        |          to            |
|        |          bio_bulletin_b|
|        |          oard          |
|        |                        |
|--------+------------------------>
  >--------------------------------------------------------|
  |      To:     bio_bulletin_board at bioinformatics.org     |
  |      cc:     (bcc: Deborah Walsh/IDGCOMM/IDG)          |
  |      Subject:     [BiO BB] Bioinformatics Project /    |
  |       Science Fair                                     |
  >--------------------------------------------------------|

Hello. My name is Tarak Upadhyaya. I am currently a sophomore at Southside
High School [Located in Greenville, SC], enrolled in the in the
International Baccalaureate (IB) Program. I came across your webpage on
bioinformatics and I am looking for some help.

Not too long ago, I didn't know that bioinformatics even existed. But,
what I did know was that I wanted to enter a field of study that would
combine the incredible proccesses of molecular biology/genetics with the
power and utter joy of computer science. Now that I know that there is a
branch of science, a relatively new branch of science, that deals with what
I have just mentioned, I am extremely overjoyed.

To learn more about bioinformatics, I have decided to do a science fair
project. I believe that since bioinformatics is a relatively new field,
there is great opportunity to be innovative and successful.  That's what I
would like to do.  I have my mind set on what I want to do in terms of
computer science. I want to write a neural network to do the advanced
calculations that might be required for this project. I am currently reading
into neural network theory. I am also looking for informative resources on
bioinformatics and neural network implementations.

Although neural networks is an imporant part of my project, I can use all
the ideas/information I could get. Please send me any ideas, or your point
of view - even if you don't specialize in neural networks. The areas I would
find interesting are evolution, genetics, mutations, reactions, brain
functioning, chaos theory, or any other biological process at the molecular
level.  What I know about some of these areas may be very limited, but I
know that they are VERY interesting.

Another thing. Since I am in the very early stages of brainstorming, the
neural network thing doesn't have to stay. If there are other more
advanced/efficient ways of sorting through data or predicting results, let
me know. I want to write it myself though (c++ is the language I'm most
familar w/ btw, and the one I would want to use).

-Tarak Upadhyaya

BiO_Bulletin_Board maillist  -  BiO_Bulletin_Board at bioinformatics.org