[BiO BB] Biochemistry book reccomendation needed

Rick Hammer rhammer at mail.bio.tamu.edu
Wed Dec 18 17:14:00 EST 2002

I just finished a course using Fundamentals of Biochemistry, by Voet, Voet & Pratt, 1999. The
Biochem department here at Texas A&M previously
used Lehninger but moved to this text so as not
to drown students in too much detail.  I would
say this is a good text for a bioinformatician
wanting some basic concepts (like myself).

Good luck,

<<< rong at bu.edu 12/18  3:42p >>>
The Cell: A Molecular Approach, by G.M. Cooper is really an excellent
introductory book. I really like cooper's style.

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, J.W. Bizzaro wrote:

> Hi Ken.
> I've used both Stryer and Garrett & Grisham.  They are comparable in size,
> covering enough material for several semesters of biochemistry.  The latter is a
> bit easier to read, while the former is a bit more detailed.
> I think most biochemistry texts are overkill for those not choosing the field as
> a profession.  One of my favorite texts, which is concise and nicely
> illustrated, is The Cell: A Molecular Approach, by G.M. Cooper.  I would
> recommend it for those who don't intend to be biochemists but would like to know
> enough biochem and molecular biology to begin studying bioinformatics.
> Cheers.
> Jeff
> Ken Firestone wrote:
> >
> > I need a book recommendation. I am coming from a Computer Science
> > background, and I would like a basic biochemistry text. I studied
> > biochemistry many years ago, and I still have an ancient copy of
> > Lehninger. So what should I get now.

Rong Chen
Ph.D. Candidate
Bioinformatics Program