[BiO BB] {List of Chemical Names}

Joseph Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Nov 25 19:11:41 EST 2002

Folks:

  Please don't cc biodevlopers.  This isn't relevant to this group.

Secondly, as John wonders, this is a combinatorial problem.  You can
scour biochemistry books, CRC and other manuals for relevant chemical
names.  I would guess that no one has compiled such a list (without
asking you to pay them in some way).

You can always appeal to computer science friends to perform Natural
Language Parsing (NLP) of online databases, and possibly
programmatically populate a database of names.  You could try parsing
the chemical registry.  That is a huge undertaking though, and I am not
sure if they include enough contextual information for you to build a
filter on.  There are on the order of 10**6 or 10**7 chemicals in there
as I remember.

In short, as Joey noted, this is a large problem.

You might want to think about why you need the "complete list" and
whether or not you really need a complete list or a sample.  If you need
a complete list, you are going to have to find someone who has bits and
pieces (Chemical Registry) and likely pay them for it.

I could be wrong about this, and it might exist on the net.  I would
enjoy being incorrect about assuming it does not exist on the net for
free.

Joe

Joseph Landman <landman at scalableinformatics.com>