[BiO BB] makemat cannot open the profile file?

Magda Mansour magda_mansour at yahoo.fr
Tue Apr 19 04:56:23 EDT 2005

Hello,

I'm a computer engineer student and currently working
on a bioinformatics project using PSI-BLAST. I'm
completely new in this domain and I have a little
problem with the PSI-BLAST function "makemat".

I first created a profile using blastpgp:
blastpgp -d dataBase\nr -i files\protein.txt -o
files\protein.out -C data\matrix –j 3

Then using the function makemat to create an ASCII
file from this matrix file with:
makemat -d DataBase\nr -P data\matrix
It gives me the error:
[NULL_Caption] FATAL ERROR: Unable to open file ||@

I tried to construct this same matrix with different
extensions: bin, chk, sn, mn, aux...
It gives me the output:
[NULL_Caption] FATAL ERROR: Unable to open profiles
file data\matrix.ext.pn
I did not found on Internet a documentation on the pn
extension.

Although, working with this matrix for a new iteration
worked properly:
blastpgp -d dataBase\nr -i files\protein.txt -o
files\protein.out -R data\matrix

If somebody can help me on this point I would be very
grateful,

Sincerely,
Yours,
Magda Mansour