[BiO BB] Harvester or Genecard

Martin Gollery mgollery at unr.edu
Fri Apr 22 15:12:19 EDT 2005

Generally, it will be much cheaper to buy a system than to reinvent the
wheel. This will allow you to focus on your core competency.

Xennex is available on line, so you should be able to have a look at it
before buying. It is an excellent method to pull a vast amount of data
about your genes of interest in a very short period of time.

Harvester is more of an analysis pipeline system to automatically clean,
mask, cluster and assemble EST data. If you have a lot of EST's to work
through, go with Harvester, or perhaps 'Magic' from the Pratt lab in
Georgia.

Regards,
Marty

alain M. wrote:
> Dear colleague,
>
> I actually work in a biology lab in Louvain (belgium) and I'm involved
> in the creation of a biotech
>
> company.
> We will developped an HTS platform to identify putative targets in the
> field of cancer and CNS deseases.
>
> Bioinformatics will be a key tool to performed such analysis and we have
> identify two integrated
>
> databases that may be useful for us : Genecard from Xennex inc. and
> Harvester from Biomax Informatics
>
> AG. An other possibility is to build in-house our own integrated database.
> What is your opinion about these two systems? Have you some information
> about the price for a small
>
> biotech? Are the private versions enhanced with other functionalities
> compared to the online free academic versions?
>
> thanks for your help,
>
> Best regards,
>
> A M

Martin Gollery