[BiO BB] software for sequence mutational analysis

Cook, Malcolm MEC at Stowers-Institute.org
Tue May 2 10:55:36 EDT 2006

There are many.

Three recommendations:

    ABI has a very nice commercial offering for windows called SeqScape
(https://products.appliedbiosystems.com/ab/en/US/adirect/ab?cmd=catNavig
ate2&catID=600582).

    Free/open-source is Staden (http://staden.sourceforge.net/) which
has a variety of approaches to gene resequencing for mutation detection
with fairly recent development/improvements.  Though it is
cross-platform / opensource, it optionally depends on components which
are/were not available windows - phred for base calling, phrap for
assembly, so I suggest linux for this.

   Also often used is a combo of Phred/Phrap/consed.  see PolyPhred:
http://droog.mbt.washington.edu/PolyPhred.html
<http://droog.mbt.washington.edu/PolyPhred.html>

Good luck,
Malcolm Cook