[BiO BB] Fish genomics

kannaiah at bsd.uchicago.edu kannaiah at bsd.uchicago.edu
Tue May 9 10:00:26 EDT 2006

Hi Nagesh,
I know when i did some comparative work in eukaryotes, i used buth fugu and
danio in my studies.
Tetraodon and Fugu the 2 types of pufferfish, were sequenced due to their small
genomes. And they are also one of the smallest known vertebrates. Follow these
links:
http://genome.jgi-psf.org/Takru4/Takru4.home.html
http://www.cns.fr/externe/English/Projets/Projet_C/organisme_C.html#resume

I know that zebra fish is used quite a lot in various biological studies and
hence was a popular candidate for sequencing. Follow this link and you will get
a better idea as to why...
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/Z/Zebrafish.html

hope that helps

-Kiran

Quoting Nagesh Chakka <nagesh.chakka at anu.edu.au>:

> Hi All,
> I just started work with fish genomes for my comparative study. I am a
> bit puzzled as to why three different fish species were selected for
> sequencing (Danio rerio </Danio_rerio/>, Fugu rubripes,
> </Fugu_rubripes/>and Tetraodon nigroviridis). Is there is any advantage
> in each of these species selected for sequencing which is not there in
> the other? I am addressing this question to this forum as I have a
> feeling that someone out there may be working with fish genome and may
> be having extensive information about what I was looking for. Please
> also note that I could not find any straight forward answer to my
> question searching the web. </Tetraodon_nigroviridis/>
> Thanks
> Nagesh

This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and
confidential.  If the reader of this email message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you have received this email
in error, please notify the sender and destroy/delete all copies of the
transmittal.  Thank you.