[BiO BB] high school project in bioinformatics

Joy Paul joypaul.joy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 02:05:30 EDT 2007

dear nisha,
firstly, the protein sequence colorer project is worthwhile and there are
web applications which serves the same purpose and is the essence of
bioinformatics. But, to make this on ur own would require some basic skills
in programming, say c, c++ or even the more easier perl.  for finding out
the coloring based on physiochemical parameters , she would require
the theory behind it or the the algorithm behind it.  The theory is fairly
easy to understand, but still have to read it closely.

The multiple sequence alignment stuff is little advanced and u should
consult a preliminary bioinformatics book for ur convenience.. All in all
she should know some programming to implement these. otherwise, websites
doing these jobs are present. U can always use these websites and get some
or ur own ideas to extract something.

http://www.expasy.ch/cgi-bin/protscale.pl

http://www.bmm.icnet.uk/~offman01/hydro.html

Joy Paul.

On 6/6/07, nisha rajagopal <nish.iitg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> My sister is a student of class 12 and as part of her biology project
> she would like to work on an area in bioinformatics.
> I went through the suggestion given in one of the postings :
>
> "How about a protein sequence colorer? Read a FASTA file, and use
> different color schemes based on charge, hydrophobicity, size, polarity.
> This could also be turned into a simple hydropathy indexing plot, thus a
> primitive membrane protein predictor.
> If this sounds like an underkill, apply same idea to a multiple
> sequence alignment.  Conservation indices etc. may be calculated for
> each column. "
> While my sister is good at Math and biology she does not know much of
> computer programming.
> Would this project be feasible for her? Could you also describe the
> project in more detail?
> Thanks,
> Nisha

joy paul.