[BiO BB] setting simple bioinformatic

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 28 19:29:41 EDT 2008

> Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:47:33 -0700
> From: marty.gollery at gmail.com
> To: bbb at bioinformatics.org
> Subject: Re: [BiO BB] setting simple bioinformatic
>
> What sort of Bioinformatics do you want to do?
> -Marty
>
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Twaha Daudi  wrote:
>> hello all,
>> greetings
>>
>> My institute would like to set up simple bioinformatic unit for drug resistance checking/testing and other activities.Please can anyone help me to point out the hardware and software tools needed?.

Yes, it would help if you could be a little more specific and phrase your question in terms of an informatics problem
( to paraphase the US TV show Jeopardy, LOL). This is a pretty large area and I could offer a couple of
ideas depending on exactly what you are trying to do. I happen to be more familiar with things like
resistance evolution in controlled conditions ( things like testing hepatitis drug candidates for evolution
of resistant strains ), this was the first google hit for example,

http://www.natap.org/2006/AASLD/AASLD_17.htm

 but there are a variety of organizations that deal with emerging pathogen reports
and follow up. For example, I'm on this mailing list, and there are probably many people here that the moderator
could put you in touch with,

http://www.promedmail.org/pls/otn/f?p=2400:1000:

certainly the US CDC comes to mind also,

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol11no10/05-0644.htm

If you are interested in stuff like this, there is a link to a group at mit at the bottom,

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/11/071121094524.htm

"These data can be accessed through the Broad Institute website, at http://www.broad.mit.edu/XDR_TB. "

If you had more details on what exactly your group is trying to do, that would help narrow down things a bit.

>> Any help is appreciated!
>> Thanks

> --
> --
> Martin Gollery
> Senior Bioinformatics Scientist
> TimeLogic- a Division of Active Motif
> North America Toll Free (877) 222-9543 ext. 6
> Direct (760) 431-1263 ext. 6

Mike Marchywka
586 Saint James Walk
Marietta GA 30067-7165
415-264-8477 (w)<- use this
404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
marchywka at hotmail.com
Note: If I am asking for free stuff, I normally use for hobby/non-profit
information but may use in investment forums, public and private.
Please indicate any concerns if applicable.
Note:  hotmail is getting cumbersom, try also marchywka at yahoo.com