[Bio-linux-dev] Bio-Linux 6 Beta 1 release

Tony Travis a.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Wed May 5 13:57:35 EDT 2010

On 05/05/10 15:20, Tim Booth wrote:
> Dear Bio-Linux testers,
>
> I'm pleased and relieved to send out the first Beta of Bio-Linux 6
> (build 6.0.13).  I hope you enjoy it and look forward to the feedback
> and discussion.  Please download the ISO from here:
>
> http://nebc.nerc.ac.uk/downloads/bl_beta_release/
>
> This can be burned to a DVD in the usual way (see
> http://nebc.nerc.ac.uk/tools/bio-linux/other-bl-docs/dvdtrouble).  While
> there will be some changes in the final release, this will not
> necessitate re-installation so please do go ahead and install this
> version if you can.

Hello, Tim.

I started upgrading "bobcat" to vanilla Ubuntu 10.04 LTS amd64 over the
weekend, because I wasn't sure when you would release your first beta!

So, I've now downloaded Bio-Linux 6 (build 6.0.13) and installed it on:

   bobcat.rri.sari.ac.uk

[I've left your "nebc" back-door open if you wahnt to have a look]

First impressions are good - FreeNX works out of the box :-)

One minor issue is that the progress indicator goes > 100% when the
installer is copying files onto the hard disk. Not important, but might
confuse/alarm some users installing for the first time. It's probably
just because your root filesystem is larger than the default Ubuntu.

> [...]
>       6. The default backup system (that dumps backups to a second drive,
>          if available) is untested at this point, though it should work
>          as before.

Hmm... you're not using my improved 'ETOH' backup script, and your
"Setup Backup Disk" on the Desktop is only using and ext2 filesystem:

> - Found an empty disk on /dev/sdb...
> - Would you like to reformat disk /dev/sdb for backups? [y|n] y
> - This may take a few minutes...
> Warning: The resulting partition is not properly aligned for best performance.
>
> mke2fs 1.41.11 (14-Mar-2010)
> Filesystem label=
> OS type: Linux
> Block size=4096 (log=2)
> Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
> Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
> 30531584 inodes, 122096389 blocks
> 6104819 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
> First data block=0
> Maximum filesystem blocks=4294967296
> 3727 block groups
> 32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
> 8192 inodes per group
> Superblock backups stored on blocks:
> 	32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208,
> 	4096000, 7962624, 11239424, 20480000, 23887872, 71663616, 78675968,
> 	102400000

Otherwise, looks great + Thanks for releasing your Beta before we
completed our Beowulf upgrade ;-)

I still have to work out how to share one instance of Bio-Linux with
everything in /usr/local via NFS to a cluster of computers. Previously,
I only installed Bio-Linux on "bobcat", and then shared /usr/local.

I'll let you know how we get on in a 'server' environment.

Bye,

   Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK