[Bio-linux-dev] Bio-Linux 6 Beta 1 release

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Thu May 6 04:42:22 EDT 2010

Hi Tony,

Thanks for testing this so quickly.

> [I've left your "nebc" back-door open if you wahnt to have a look]

This door is only half open (issue 13) but I'll not have a look unless
there is something particular you want to show me.

> First impressions are good - FreeNX works out of the box :-)

Excellent - I need to sort out the icons which don't seem to be
appearing in the menu, but I'm sure you've spotted the client is also
sitting under /usr/NX/bin/nxclient

> One minor issue is that the progress indicator goes > 100% when the
> installer is copying files onto the hard disk. Not important, but might
> confuse/alarm some users installing for the first time. It's probably
> just because your root filesystem is larger than the default Ubuntu.

See known issue 10

> > [...]
> >       6. The default backup system (that dumps backups to a second drive,
> >          if available) is untested at this point, though it should work
> >          as before.
>
> Hmm... you're not using my improved 'ETOH' backup script, and your
> "Setup Backup Disk" on the Desktop is only using and ext2 filesystem:

See known issue 6.  The backup system does need reviewing.  I don't
think ext3 journalling is necessary or appropriate for a drive that only
holds dump files, though I may be mistaken.

> I still have to work out how to share one instance of Bio-Linux with
> everything in /usr/local via NFS to a cluster of computers. Previously,
> I only installed Bio-Linux on "bobcat", and then shared /usr/local.

I'd hoped to be further down the line towards using more standard
packages - ie. nothing put in /usr/local - by now but unfortunately this
has not worked out.  Hopefully you'll find a workaround.

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre