[Bio-linux-dev] x2go server

Tony Travis tony.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Fri Jun 6 04:54:31 EDT 2014

Hi, Tim.

I've been experimenting with the x2go server under a Bio-Linux 7 system
that I've upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. As I mentioned before, the Gnome
fallback/flashback session does not work.

The "x2go" client connects successfully, but all you get in the client
window is a black screen instead of the remote fallback/flashback
Gnome2-like desktop. I now realise that this is because Unity-2d does
not work at all without hardware acceleration. Same for Gnome3-based
sessions. However, KDE, XFCE, LXDE and other desktop sessions do work.

At the moment, I'm trying out the MATE desktop that is soon going to be
included in the official Ubuntu repositories. This may be important for
CBL and other deployments of Bio-Linux using either OpenNX or x2go. My
own preference is for a Gnome2-like desktop, which is why I'm looking at
MATE. What remote desktop sessions will you include in Bio-Linux 8?

Bye,

  Tony.

--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Institute of Biological and
Environmental Sciences, Cruickshank Building, St. Machar Drive, Aberdeen

Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an Alba, Àir. SC013683.