[Bio-linux-dev] x2go server

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Fri Jun 6 05:51:20 EDT 2014

Hi Tony,

Good question.  I'm only just at the point of properly experimenting
with x2go on 14.04 myself.  I agree that a gnome-type desktop is best so
MATE might well be the way to go.  Please let me know what you think of
it.

I've had at least two people say "use Cinnamon" but it seems to be
totally enmeshed into Mint and porting it properly to Bio-Linux would
probably take a sizeable chunk of my development time.  I'm personally
quite a fan of Xfce but it is quite dissimilar to Gnome/Unity.

Cheers,

TIM

On Fri, 2014-06-06 at 09:54 +0100, Tony Travis wrote:
> Hi, Tim.
>
> I've been experimenting with the x2go server under a Bio-Linux 7 system
> that I've upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. As I mentioned before, the Gnome
> fallback/flashback session does not work.
>
> The "x2go" client connects successfully, but all you get in the client
> window is a black screen instead of the remote fallback/flashback
> Gnome2-like desktop. I now realise that this is because Unity-2d does
> not work at all without hardware acceleration. Same for Gnome3-based
> sessions. However, KDE, XFCE, LXDE and other desktop sessions do work.
>
> At the moment, I'm trying out the MATE desktop that is soon going to be
> included in the official Ubuntu repositories. This may be important for
> CBL and other deployments of Bio-Linux using either OpenNX or x2go. My
> own preference is for a Gnome2-like desktop, which is why I'm looking at
> MATE. What remote desktop sessions will you include in Bio-Linux 8?
>
> Bye,
>
>   Tony.
>
> --
> Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Institute of Biological and
> Environmental Sciences, Cruickshank Building, St. Machar Drive, Aberdeen
> AB24 3UU, Scotland, UK. tel +44(0)1224 272700, fax +44 (0)1224 272 396
> http://www.abdn.ac.uk, mailto:tony.travis at abdn.ac.uk, skype:ajtravis
>

> The University of Aberdeen is a charity registered in Scotland, No SC013683.
> Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an Alba, Àir. SC013683.

Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England