[Bio-Linux] Fast remote desktop for Bio-Linux using FreeNX

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Mon Nov 28 05:08:19 EST 2005

Hi All,

Nic here suggested trying FreeNX for remote connections into Bio-Linux
machines.  The system promises a full-speed remote desktop even over a
home broadband connection, has clients for Windows, Mac and Linux and is
available at no cost.  I tried it myself this weekend and was very
impressed.  If you are running remote applications on a Bio-Linux
machine and finding them slow, then FreeNX may be the answer.  It also
allows you to run a remote session on a Windows machine without
installing software like Exceed.  I have put instructions on how to set
it up on our website:

http://envgen.nox.ac.uk/envgen/software/archives/000506.html#freenx

The homepage for the FreeNX project is:

http://freenx.berlios.de/

NX was developed by NoMachine:

http://nomachine.com

Please let me know if you do try NX and find it useful.

Thanks,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>